Director, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program; Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of History; Associate Professor, Department of Education; Associate Professor, Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program; Faculty with the Feminist Critical Analysis Seminar
Originally Published In
Dzuback, Mary Ann. 1993. “Women and Social Research at Bryn Mawr College, 1915-40”. History of Education Quarterly 33 (4). [History of Education Society, Wiley]: 579–608. doi:10.2307/369614.Copy
In 1911 M. Carey Thomas, president of Bryn Mawr College, faced a golden opportunity. An alumna of the college had died suddenly, leaving Bryn Mawr its largest gift since Joseph Wright Taylor's initial endowment for the establishment of the college. Emma Carola Woerishoffer's unrestricted donation provided Thomas unaccustomed freedom to expand Bryn Mawr's curriculum. In 1915 Thomas used a large portion of the bequest to establish the Graduate Department of Social Economy and Social Research for the training and certification of social workers and for the master's and doctoral education of social researchers. Bryn Mawr's department and program were unusual, as training schools for social workers were run largely by charity organization societies. The department's singularity was derived from its location within an academic institution and its determination to provide women the opportunity to pursue research in the social sciences.
Dzuback, Mary Ann, "Women and Social Research at Bryn Mawr College, 1915-1940" (1993). Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies Research. 39.