- Philosophy of Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America
- Who Can Submit?
- General Submission Rules
- Formatting Requirements
- Rights for Authors and Washington University Open Scholarship
Philosophy of Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America
For more information, please see Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America Aims and Scope page.
Who Can Submit?
Anyone may submit an original article to be considered for publication in Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America provided he or she owns the copyright to the work being submitted or is authorized by the copyright owner or owners to submit the article. Authors are the initial owners of the copyrights to their works (an exception in the non-academic world to this might exist if the authors have, as a condition of employment, agreed to transfer copyright to their employer).
General Submission Rules
Submitted articles cannot have been previously published, nor be forthcoming in an archival journal or book (print or electronic). Please note: "publication" in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. In addition, by submitting material to Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that he or she will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America. If you have concerns about the submission terms for Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America, please contact the editors.
Journal on Race, Inequality, and Social Mobility in America has the following simple rules for formatting articles for initial submission:
- Font is Times New Roman 12 pt. (10 pt. in footnotes)
- Title is in headline case
- Margins are 1.5 inch (3.8 cm) on all sides
- Double spaced, single column layout with both left and right margins justified (double-space between paragraphs)
- Graphics are clear/legible
- Page size is 8.5 x 11 inches
There are also rules governing the formatting of the final submission. See Final Manuscript Preparation Guidelines for details. Although bepress can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to produce an electronic version of the article as a high-quality PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) file, or a Microsoft Word, WordPerfect or RTF file that can be converted to a PDF file.
It is understood that the current state of technology of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is such that there are no, and can be no, guarantees that documents in PDF will work perfectly with all possible hardware and software configurations that readers may have.
Rights for Authors and Washington University Open Scholarship
Copyright in the submitted Work remains with the Author(s), subject to the rights expressly granted to the Journal pursuant to the Submission and Publication Agreement. The Journal believes that this arrangement for publication and sharing of rights best serves the mutual interest in providing optimal access to the Work and reaching the largest readership possible, particularly for the benefit of the nonprofit community.
The rights retained by the Author include (but are not limited to):
- the right the publish the Work in another scholarly journal, in a book, or by other means, after a period of six (6) months subsequent to publication of the Work by the Journal, subject to proper acknowledgement of the Work’s initial publication;
- the right to use the Work in any form or format in connection with the Author’s teaching, conference presentations, lectures, and for all of Author’s academic and professional activities;
- the right to make the Work available in digital form over the Internet, on the Author’s personal website or through websites maintained by scholarly societies, funding agencies, or the Author’s employer.
In consideration of the Journal’s agreement to publish the work, the Author grants to the Journal:
- the right of first publication;
- the right to reproduce, publicly distribute, transmit and display, and otherwise use the Work in electronic and print editions of the Journal, in all media now known or later developed;
- the right to prepare abstracts, translations, and similar adaptations in derivative works in furtherance of the Journal’s publication of the Work;
- the right to license others to include the Work in databases, compilations, or other services, upon condition that the Author is attributed;
- the right to electronically store, archive, copy and convert the Work to other media for preservation purposes; and
- the right to use the Author’s name and likeness in association with the Work in published form and in promotional materials.
The Author agrees not to publish the Work, or authorize any third party to do so, in print or electronic form, prior to publication of the Work by the Journal and for a period of six (6) months after publication of the Work by the Journal. Should the Work be published elsewhere, the Journal asks that the Author acknowledge its initial publication (with citation and link) through a tagline, author bibliography, or similar means.
In the event that the Journal does not publish the Work, the rights granted shall terminate.
In all situations, the Journal is happy to discuss with individual authors any desired modifications to the Submission and Publication Agreement as described here. For questions, please contact the editors.